Hi-

For those of you who don't know, I'm not a big fan of CSS.  In general,
I don't care much for the set of problems they chose to solve or not
solve, and I'm not convinced that the manner in which the solutions were
approached was a good choice in retrospect.  To be fair, it may be that
the implementations of CSS are to blame, not the CSS specifications
themselves.

Specifically, though, I don't think CSS is that useful outside of
HTML... in particular, I don't think it's well-suited for use in SVG.
Thus, my following questions and comments.

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> On 11/2/06, brucerindahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> 1.  No CSS attrubutes in SVG.  While XML attributes are possible, it
>> is just easier in some cases to use style attributes in SVG.  The lack
>> of support in Mars will make this very difficult.

Bruce, what specific aspects of CSS do you normally use that would make
its absence "very difficult"?  I'm assuming you use classes, rather than
selectors?  What use cases in SVG do you have that are solved by CSS,
and is CSS as it stands adequate for those use cases or could it (or
some other mechanism) be changed to suit them better?

>     We are simply following the SVG committee itself in the movement
> away from CSS to attributes - because attributes are more in line with
> XML philosophy and can be MUCH more easily validated & schema'd.

Just to set the record straight, that isn't really accurate.  SVG Tiny
1.2 doesn't use CSS (nor did SVG Tiny 1.1), but mainly as a footprint
issue for smaller devices, not out of a philosophical or technical
disagreement with CSS.  SVG Full will still use CSS, and we are planning
to work more closely with the CSS WG to make sure that authors have the
best options available.

Admittedly, opinions about the utility of CSS in SVG do differ in the
SVG Working Group; I am clearly not a proponent of CSS, but there are
other active members of the SVG WG take the opposing view.  All of us
agree that for the CDF (Compound Document Format, or
XHTML+SVG+CSS+JS+??) use case, CSS is very important, and how exactly it
works with SVG should be clearly defined.

Regards-
-Doug