Challenge: come up with "better" symbols for signifying "public domain" or
"copyright free."

Begin here http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/pd3.svg . Look at the source
code and then see what you think. I'll get back to that example toward the end
of this message.

As a bit of searching in Google Images*, Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons will
reveal,  there are several symbols meant to depict the concepts of "copyright
free" or "public domain" or "copyleft." Not only do these concepts have
slightly different nuances of meaning, but the symbols have a many-to-many
relationship with the concepts. And furthermore, the symbols have differential
levels of accessibity, depending on for whom we define "making" "allowing" or
"enabling"  to be accessible. And, many of the symbols, while looking alike,
have very different underlying file structure.

Following a recent visit to openclipart.org**  I was rather prepared for what
Jeff Schiller calls "cruft"  when I saw the earlier image at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Publicdomain.svg
as described there.I did the following   [Hand edited to remove sodipodi and
inkscape references, remove unused gradients, remove unused styles, replaced
duplicated paths by <use> elements, simplified complex cubic beziers as simple
arc subcommands; used integer arithmetic. Replaced complex arcs by circles. New
file is 18 (<lkb) lines of code -- old file was 144 lines (>5kb). New file
should have better semantics for re-editing basic objects.]

Well 18 lines and 895 bytes defintely seems better than 5 kilobytes of code.
But is the new code more accessible? Well, I think it is, but how can I tell
for sure? How does one come up with the "best" expression for such a simple
figure?

Look inside the two figures and you'll see several questions that pose
themselves:
is it better to use <use>?
does striking all the sodipodi stuff erase some of the artist's brushstrokes?***
are two paths with one rotating the other better than one that has twice as
coordinates listed?
doesn't it make more sense to let color be inherited from the group rather than
individually defined for each path?
what about the optical illusion of the letters pd for public domain? Should
that be made semantic in our markup?

I confess it took me a while of fidding to replace all those cubic beziers from
Inkscape by the "canonical" arc-equivalents. But I figure that the seven
coordinates (or so) that I used,  instead of sixty or so in the original path
ought to make the content more accessible to future analysists if anyone ever
wants to modify it!

Next question (and maybe more important):

Take a look at http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/pd3.svg

The image on the left is one of the current images served by wikimedia as the
symbol for "copyright free".[2]  Perhaps it is based on [3] . Perhaps the
metadata associated with the file should show its ancestry?

The file history shows some well-deserved attempt to rid the file of unneeded
complexity and cruft.
The current image (in its eleventh incarnation on wikipedia). It consists of
four circles and three rectangles. One of the rectangles looks like it has been
added merely to carve out a portion of a circle to make it look like a "c."
This doesn't seem very accessible.

So in my quick attempt, I put a "c" in the middle of the circle. I defined the
circle as not two circles but one. I defined the rectangle as not two but one,
and I defined the "C" as not two circles and a rectangle, but as a "c". I also
made a stab at adding <title> and <desc> tags to describe the "why and what" of
the file.

So here is the challenge: can we come up with a better version of the symbol
that what is there right now?

Can we come up with one we will all agree is better?

What I don't like about my attempt is that the "C" is dependent upon system
fonts??? Changing from sans-serif to arial makes a huge difference in some
browsers!

Should the circle be one circle or two?

Should the circle really be carved by a clipPath consisting of two arcs or
should it be a circle with a line (rect) that crosses it? I chose a crossing
line but was not convinced this was right.

I stretched the "C" horizontally to make it appear to conform to the circle
outside. Circles would have conformed better!

What is the canonical <title> and <desc> information to go with the proper file?

What is the proper way to refer to this discussion thread should we ever agree
on my desire to replace the four circles and three rects

cheers
David

*I discovered to my great dismay that Ditto.com, as of about 6 months ago, no
longer exists[1]. Their lawsuit paved the way for Google images which followed
almost to the day the initial ruling in favor of Ditto.com.

**After spending a bit of time reminding myself of why I (wearing various hats
that I do) don't use more images from http://www.openclipart.org/ , I wrote a
bit of script to help me find the relevant <path> objects (amidst gradients and
filters that are never used) that actually draw the interesting shapes
(assigning mouseover event that parse and modify the "style" of the active
object).

*** I remember in the 1980's trying to help students (and a wife) recover their
corrupted word-processed files and realizing that the archival copy actually
contained not only the document but the "edit history" of the document
including backspaces, deletes, copies and pastes!

[1] http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/copyright/legalthumb.htm
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PD-icon.svg

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Red_copyright.svg