Hi Mei,

this discussion should be continued on semediawiki-devel, which is really the
right list for this content. You can subscribe via our sourceforge page.

For now, I am not sure how your idea could be put into practice. I would
suggest to proceed stepwise: first, write a dropdown-box with sufficient
database access that works. You could insert it on a new Special-page to test
it. When this performs as you wish (which might not be trivial, since you may
not want to load *all* existing relations into one dropdown-box) you can have
a look on how to integrate this with the UI. You will probably need some
JScript similar to the one that is used for the edit toolbar in MediaWiki.

Normally, extensions use hooks to add functions to MediaWiki, but there are
not enough hooks yet to implement everythin this way. Sometimes you need some
(hopefully small) patch to the code to get things working. In your case,
figure out where you want the dropdown to be, and trace the origin of the
element on the page (this is easy by a combination of DOM-analyis with tools
like the fabulous Firefox Webdeveloper Toolbar, and text-search in the code).
Then you should get an idea where a good place for inserting new elements
might be.

Another way could be to look for an extension that already adds new UI
elements, and to obtain inspiration from its code. But I think I am not aware
of such an extension (wich does not say much ;).

Regards,

Markus

On Monday 31 July 2006 00:56, Mei Wu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running Semantic MediaWiki 0.4.3.2 on MediaWiki 1.6.7 in a
> corporate environment. Since most of the users are non-technical
> users, I want to program a drop-down menu under every page in "edit"
> mode where the user can select existing relations. This way the user
> does not have to know all the relations and can pick an existing one
> from the menu and add it to the article. My idea is that when the user
> picked a relation and the related article, he can add it to the
> textarea with the Wikipage content in the right semantic format by
> simply hitting a button.
>
> Since this is my first MediaWiki extension, I ran into some problems
> when I started. At the moment I do not know how I can add a drop down
> menu under a wiki page in edit mode. How can I check if the page is in
> edit mode and how can I put the dropdown menu at the right position?
> Did somebody do a similar extension and might be able to help me out
> with that?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Mei

Markus Krötzsch
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        phone +49 (0)721 608 7362
www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/     fax +49 (0)721 693  717