My guess is, UPC just has the occasional overbooked peering link problem. A
while ago I was
frequently watching youtube videos, and found the quality to drop considerably
in the early evening hours,
when probably many other customers also started to watch youtube. Enabling a
VPN to the UK, sometimes
even to the US, brought back the quality. So, in my interpretation, my home
connection was NOT the culprit,
but the backbone interconnection of UPC with the peers I was watching content
from.

I haven't had such frequent issues recently, but then I also mostly switched to
watching twitch instead of
youtube, and that will go over different peering links.

Cheers,
Markus