On 19/01/11 17:26, Richard Jones wrote:
Also, as per my earlier comment about export plugins in EPrints, you
could easily imagine throwing a known package format into the
repository, and then asking it to give you it back in a variety of
formats that you don't know how to generate yourself.
Hmmmm...... interesting!
I see a future development for the OA-RJ broker there!!

It's been a long standing complaint against SWORD that despite it being
an "interoperability" standard, you can't even deposit the same package
into DSpace, EPrints and Fedora, let alone other implementations that
weren't funded as part of the original project. From both a practical
point of view and a community perception point of view this has to be
addressed.
This is an issue that the OA-RJ Project is addressing with the Broker work.
Our initial work is to produce a single importable package, and the importers that go with them, so that the Broker can pass on an Item to a number of target repositories.

(There is a future development idea which would be to allow each target repository to identify the package format it wanted, and the Broker would transfer in that package.... but that is a *much* slower mechanism when dealing with multi-institutional papers)

--

Ian Stuart.
Developer: Open Access Repository Junction and OpenDepot.org

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.