On 14/03/11 21:21, Richard Jones wrote:
> I think that a large part of what SWORD adds to AtomPub is how you talk
> about packaging. We're definitely not going to go down the route of
> specifying package formats or support levels outside of AtomPub's basic
> definitions. What I'd be particularly interested to know is whether you
> think that SWORD currently provides you with enough tools to talk
> /about/ packaging?
>
> We have, for example, had a couple of mentions of the desire to ONLY use
> mime-types, which we know is insufficient for describing packages - what
> is the mime type of a DSpace METS package? And I have also verified that
> the registration process for mime-types is not strictly trivial. Do the
> extra features for providing Package information during deposit,
> Accept-Package headers for retrieval, and sword:packaging elements in
> the service documents and atom entries provide you with a framework
> which will work for your requirements?
 From various conversations I've had with people, the concept of
"packaging" is confusing for people.

For many people, a "package" is a simple thing... and therefore can be
assigned some kind of identifier (hence the idea of hooking into MIME Types)

For others, me included, a "Package" is a concept that is composed of
multiple parts:
1) There is the singular Thing that holds everything (liken this to a
cardboard box)
2) Inside the Thing, there is a file of descriptive data [metadata] and
some number of binary files (liken this to a Manilla file and some
data-disks in the box)
3) There may also be a Manifest file that describes what the contents of
the box are, and how they relate to each other.

In this second, expanded, view there are three things one need to define
within the discussion

1) What the singular Thing is: a (zip|xml|csv|xyz) file
2) What "standard" the manifest file is written to (METS, EPrintsXML,
etc....)
3) What "standard" the metadata file is written to (DC, QDC, MODS,
EPrintsXML, BibTek, etc...)

Now, one could define a new identifier for each combination of manifest
& metadata, or one can describe them separately....
One has great flexibility & expandability, the other uses fewer header
fields.

--

Ian Stuart.
Developer: Open Access Repository Junction and OpenDepot.org

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.