> Chris,
>
> We have been working 2+ years on syslog-protocol and
> syslog-transport-udp. We had hard discussions. It looked we reached
> concensus on the mailing list. Then, in the meeting, non-concensus was
> found. It looks like we have a big discrepancy between what is said on
> the mailing list and what is said in meetings. I think we need to tackle
> that *issue* first.

Well, if more people from the list showed up in meetings, that might
not be such a problem.

> Why are we pushing for more and more changes on the mailing list, just
> to abandon things when they come close to being finished. To get me
> right: I have no really bad feelings about the way things have evolved
> (though I have to admit that it is hard to accept that 2+ years of work
> are being abandoned in 30 minutes - but that is life and it is better to
> abandon things than to create things that nobody uses [hint: rfc
> 3195;)]. I only fear that we will work another 2+ years, just to arrive
> where we are right now. If we do not solve the discrepancy between
> on-list and off-list concensus, anything we do can strongly be
> questioned.

First problem: RFC 3195 looks incredibly complex, so rather than try and
understand it, people ignore it.  I think that people, as a result, tend
to be less interested in getting involved, looking at that.

What happened here was a lack of good protocol engineering.  What the
group attempted to do was solve "world hunger" and as a result,
we gave birth to something that few people see any benefit in
and it is easier for them to do their own thing since that RFC
seems to be largely irrelevant.

So, I think going forward, this group needs to be more cogniscent of
what the world *really* wants and find a way to deliver that rather
than something we think they need and in actuality, don't want.

> So my big question is: how did this come? Was there a totally different
> set of people in the meeting (I noticed some quite uninformed comments
> in the notes)? Were these folks on the list and just not speaking up?

Probably :)

> What can we do to prevent this in the future? Please speak up NOW if you
> are just lurking ;)

Get better and more critical reviews on what the group is doing and
do not pass on documents that do not have this.

I suspect the problem here is finding interested and qualified people
who have the time.

Darren