> > WG,
> > <PRI>VERSION TIMESTAMP HOSTNAME APP-NAME PROCID [SD-ID]s MSG
>
> I would put the SD-IDs after the message.

This raises the question of what terminates the MSG part ;) That would
mean we would need to introduce byte-counting, at least I think so.
Other than that, I, too would find it better to place it at the end. On
the other hand, a -protocol compliant syslogd could take out SD-IDs and
put them after the message (or even discard them if the operator is not
interested --> configuration option [not a protocol issue]). At least
this was what I have on mind about how to implement it.

> The SD-IDs and detailed bits of meaning to the MSG and without the
> MSG, are irrelevant.  The exception being a language marker.
>
> > - replace NUL with an escape sequence upon reception (e.g. <00>)
>
> Why not \0 ?

That's another good choice. My point was that most implementations would
do some modification on reception. That means a relay could actually
*alter* the message, which in turn would break signatures. If we require
relays to handle \0 correctly, that will probably cause a lot of trouble
to existing syslogd code. That was my main message. Is it better to live
with that or introduce a CLR on not allowing NUL?

Rainer