> I think this is a valid use case. Syslog traditionally has not only
> focussed on network management but has always been used for
> application-layer event notifications. I think what John asks for is
> within our charter and doesn't even require any change to what we have
> been discussing so far.

So long as XML in the message can be satisfied by saying it is part
of the "MSG" section, then yes.  I don't believe there are any planned
restrictions on what the text content of "MSG" can be.

Otherwise we're just going back down the road of 3195.

If John wanted to see XML in syslog formalised, then my vote would for
it to be a follow on draft that documented a particular SD-ID as the
means for indicating the MSG was expected to be XML.

But I cannot emphasise strongly enough that it is not appropriate for
this group to take on syslog and XML, beyond what exists in 3195, at
the present time.  We need to focus on the charter and achieve a basic
set of goals first before moving on to things like this.  This isn't
to say that it won't be addressed, but not here and now.  If this puts
you, John, in uncertain land for the time being then I think that has
to just be accepted with an understanding that it can be redressed at
some point in the future, even if it doesn't make our current charter.

Darren