Anton:

> I can see something like this error message:
>
>  ...MyApp pid123 MALFORMED_INPUT: Bad input received from
> client: [aaa\u0000]
>
> The question is does not it need to be escaped for transport
> or only in display.  I'd personally prefer deferring any kind
> of escaping until it is really needed, like when displaying
> binary to the user.

I agree it can be a valid character. Also note that we (quickly at that
time) went over this topic in the past and agreed that we would need to
support NUL.

My point is a different one. I have begun to look at the draft from the
implementors point of view. Especially from the view of someone who
want's to upgrade an existing syslogd implementation to syslog-protocol.
One goal of such a person would definitely to do it with as less effort
as possible.

The issue is that many syslogds are written in C/C++. NUL is used as
string terminator. I can back this by testing. If I send NUL characters
embedded inside the message, almost all existing syslogds terminate the
message text at this point. (side-note: I am currently thinking about if
that is a security vulnerability in almost all syslogds).

If you want to upgrade an existing syslogd to support NUL you can do one
of two things:

#1 rewrite your syslogd so that it uses byte-counted
   strings and not the C RTL string functions
#2 replace the NUL with an escape, e.g. \0 or <00>

#1 would obviously be the best choice (also from a security point of
view). I just doubt that many implementors will accept the
(considerable) effort required. I think that most will resort to #2. #2
must be done early, right after message reception (else you already deal
with C-strings). So when it comes to relaying, the orginal message will
not be preserved (side note: it will also not be preserved when writing
to a file). That means that digital signatures (syslog-sign) will be
broken.

While I see this is an implementation issue (not a protocol one), I also
see that allowing NUL will almost ask for this common implementation
"error". It would also render all efforts in regard to syslog-sign
useless.

So I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to accept that CLR here and disallow
NUL. After all, I can not see a valid use case for it either... (in the
sample you provided it honestly believe the sender should not send a NUL
octet but a "\u0000" string).

Rainer