On Mon, 25.07.16 11:44, Anne Mulhern (amulh...@redhat.com) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I happened to be printing out the sequence numbers of the udev events I was
> receiving via the udev monitor,
> and I noticed that they did not occur exactly in sequence, e.g., I was
> receiving events with sequence numbers
> in this order:
>
> 13694
> 13696
> 13695
> 13697
> 13698
> 13699
> 13700
> 13701
> 13702
> 13703
> 13706
> 13704
> 13705
>
> How should I interpret this? Is it behavior I should expect?

udev only maintains ordering of events "within subtrees". Meaning: if
you have completely unrelated devices popping up they will ne
processed and announced in any order. But if you have to devices close
to each other (let's say a master sound card device and its subchannel
devices, or partitions on a block device) then the order is
maintained.

Moreover, due to network namespacing some seqnos might be missing
altogether (as seqnos for network devices from other namespaces do not
show up in local namespaces).