Hi,

On 04/08/2016 22:03, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> How does GPFS suggest that apps wait for the mounts?

It "grew" official support for systemd only in very recent releases, so
up until now most people just threw a busy wait in rc.?d between S*gpfs
and other services[1].

> You could probably write a small tool that watches
> /proc/self/mountinfo (the fd of it generates POLLPRI on each mount
> change, so you wouldn't even have to do a time-based loop), turn that
> into a service and order it before your service.

Or a tool which waits for a notification from a GPFS mount callback
(which would use an officially-sanctioned interface of GPFS). I wished
to avoid writing custom code, but it seems there is no way around this.

Thanks anyway :-)

[1]: while GPFS provides a callback mechanism for some events (incl.
mounts), its use for synchronously starting services is not advised as
it might interfere with mmfsd operations.

Regards,
--
Matteo Panella
INFN CNAF