I am trying to get comfortable with systemd on Debian 8 but am very
confused by the complex documentation.

I am a simple man with a simple need to be able to modiify startup
scripts for several packages I build from source which currently are:

+ apache (httpd)
+ postgresql
+ bind9

I'm not sure of a few things under systemd:

1. What exactly is the command to start or stop a service (consider
the three above)?

2. Where exactly do I modify starting, status, and stopping parameters
for a service?

3. If Debian 8 is running systemd for a service, why do I need an
entry for a service in init.d?

4. Do I have to use systemd for a service?  If not, how do I do that?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom