On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:35:13PM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> On 08/16/2016 12:13 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:23:03AM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> > > Why cant the kernel community figure this out and solve this upstream
> > > first
> > > since it's quite obvious from the threads that Tejun Heo linked to in
> > > that pull
> > > request that this is a political issue not a technical one.
> > >
> > > Surely Linus and his so called lieutenants can step in and break political
> > > status quo like that.
> > That makes no sense at all, sorry.  Work with the upstream developers to
> > get this resolved, that's all that anyone can do here.
>
> So each maintainer can prevent changeset from being merged if affect the
> area he ( currently ) maintains the kernel.

No one has "absolute" control, sorry, that's not how we work.

But agreement is usually the best way to work things out, don't you
think?  Isn't it better than the traditional way a company works (a
project manager says "this has to be merged!")?

> That's interesting and begs the question how much time and energy the kernel
> community spend in resolving matters that stem from "opinions" and people
> stubbornness?

Please feel free to show how this is true, I don't see this at all.

And you do realize that the kernel is the largest (by number of
contributors and different companies), and fastest moving, software
project ever in the history of computing?  Perhaps the model that we
have does work pretty well :)

greg k-h