On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 08:57:09PM +0300, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Tyler Couto <tco...@certain.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have a tomcat application that requires some initialization after
> > tomcat starts up. That is, we run an initialize script after catalina.out
> > says ?'Server startup in:'. Currently we do this in a number of ways:
> > manually, through a custom tail script, or through logstash. But I¹m
> > thinking it might be best to let the init system do it. Is this a good
> > idea? And if so, how best to implement it?
> >

> systemd will not react to stdout messages, but it does have Type=notify
> which will react to a "READY=1" message sent via Unix socket – ideally
> directly by the program (see sd_notify, $NOTIFY_SOCKET) but also possibly
> via the `systemd-notify` tool:
>
>     sd_notify(0, "READY=1");
>
>     systemd-notify --ready

  In other words, Tyler, you have to:

1) implement above sd_notify support int Tomcat, for which many users
   would be thankful;

2) use some waiting mechanism; I know that Spacewalk project has some
   Tomcat-waiting implemented, you can check their units.

--
Tomasz Torcz            There exists no separation between gods and men:
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl   one blends softly casual into the other.