On Tue, 06.12.16 16:52, Samuel Williams (space.ship.travel...@gmail.com) wrote:

> I want to use this field for a list of roles the server will be setup
> with. It feels like a logical thing to do. But for some reason, the
> field is very limited:
>
> # hostnamectl set-deployment "roles:development roles:business"
> Could not set property: Invalid deployment 'roles:development roles:business'
>
> I can't seem to put in whitespace, underscores, etc. Why is it so limited?

This was a deliberate decision. The idea was to restrict it enough to
make this a one-dimensional "label", but not more. This way apps
processing this setting have enough information at hand to compare and
order this values, even if there's no vocabulary enforced what the
user puts there. See the man page of "hostnamectl" for details about
the syntax.