On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:44:59AM -0700, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> I've read about the difference between "forking" and "notify", but am not
> sure how it really applies in real life.
>
> Can someone tell me what would be the consequences of setting Tomcat (or any
> Java-based service, for that matter) to Type=notify instead of Type=forking?
> Examples I see online use forking but I'm not sure that that's the right way
> to go.

 For “notify”, application has to have explicit support for systemd.  It has to
send READY=1 notification using socket. Usually, when application authors
implement
type=notify support, they ship example unit, so you don't have to guess.
 Implementing Type=notify is very simple, see https://github.com/faljse/SDNotify
You can ask Tomcat developers to implement it.
 Also, if you use wrong type, your application may not fail instantly. Sometimes
minute and a half passes before it fails. See
https://enotty.pipebreaker.pl/2014/10/08/failure-modes-of-incorrect-type-in-systemd-units/

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl                                          72->|   80->|