On Tue, 25.04.17 10:17, Trent Lloyd (tr...@lloyd.id.au) wrote:

> I had two general thoughts,
>
> (a) Can I make a unit change to "improve" the situation, for example adding
> PartOf=avahi-daemon.service to avahi-daemon.socket.  I have noticed that
> CUPS and Docker (err, moby) seem to ship this though most other things
> don't; however that does seem to take away the ability to actually use
> socket activation since they'll always activate together making it mostly
> pointless (even though in most cases with avahi specifically, we want to
> actually startup and not wait to be activated so the network side is
> active).  So this seems non-ideal and I think probably this doesn't make
> sense.  It does make me wonder if others had the same thought-process and/or
> problems though.

I figure a BindsTo=avahi-daemon.socket in avahi-daemon.service
wouldn't be too bad. That way if the service is stopped the socket is
stopped too.

> (b) Would it make sense to improve systemd to monitor the socket status and
> alert or "exit" the service (making it eligible to be restarted,
> particularly it would be restarted automatically when avahi-daemon.service
> is again started) if it is no longer actually bound to the on disk path.  Or
> otherwise improve the situation directly from the systemd side in some way,
> such as checking the socket status at least when the service is restarting.
> Restarting avahi-daemon.socket does in fact restart avahi-daemon.service (if
> nothing else by way of necessity I guess, since a new FD has to be passed
> in) but the reverse is not true by default (which does make sense for
> short-lived activated services, you don't want to re-bind the socket every
> time and leaves a race time the service is unavailable)

I figure it would be OK for PID 1 to use inotify to watch for the
socket node to be removed/replaced in the file system, and if that
happens we could place the socket unit in a failure state or so.

Would be happy to take a patch for that!

> From my view the "real problem" is that the issue is entirely invisible.
> The socket does not work, there are no errors visible on either the socket
> or service and restarting avahi-daemon.service does not fix it.  Restarting
> avahi-daemon.socket does fix it and I appreciate that, but I think that is
> confusing in many cases.  I am feeling that having the socket service exit
> if the path becomes invalid may be a sensible improvement but I thought I'd
> float the idea before working on it.

Yeah, it is indeed to easy to debug issues like that. I'd be open to
making this more discoverable, by for example refusing to start a
service whose sockets have disappeared in the file system (or maybe
warn but permit), but I am not aware of any nice way how we could
detect that the fs node still maps to the same socket we originally
created. To my knowledge there is no Linux/UNIX API for something like
that...