I suppose you meant pam_keyinit, not pam_keyring, right?  Although I saw
that the new version of default "systemd-user" pam configuration file
added pam_keyinit, I tested migration of systemd from 232 to 233 with
exactly the same pam.d configuration (as I mentioned below). The _only_
thing that has been changed in the system is the version of installed
systemd and this leads to failed user@xxx.service.

Vlad.