Am Wed, 10 May 2017 22:12:37 +0200
schrieb Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com>:

> Am Tue, 9 May 2017 20:37:16 +0200
> schrieb Lennart Poettering <lenn...@poettering.net>:
>
> > On Tue, 09.05.17 00:42, Kai Krakow (hurikha...@gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> > > Am Sat, 6 May 2017 14:22:21 +0200
> > > schrieb Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com>:
> > >
>  [...]
> > >
> > > Fixed by restarting the router. The cable modem seems to be buggy
> > > with UDP packets after a lot of uptime: it simply silently drops
> > > UDP packets at regular intervals, WebUI was also very slow,
> > > probably a CPU issue.
> > >
> > > I'll follow up on this with the cable provider.
> > >
> > > When the problem starts to show up, systemd-resolved is affected
> > > more by this than direct resolving. I don't know if there's
> > > something that could be optimized in systemd-resolved to handle
> > > such issues better but I don't consider it a bug in
> > > systemd-resolved, it was a local problem.
> >
> > Normally configured DNS servers should be equivalent, and hence
> > switching them for each retry should not come at any cost, hence,
> > besides the extra log output, do you experience any real issues?
>
> Since I restarted the router, there are no longer any such logs except
> maybe a few per day (less than 4).
>
> But when I got those logs spammed to the journal, the real problem was
> the DNS resolver taking 10s about once per minute to resolve a website
> address - which really was a pita.
>
> But well, what could systemd-resolved have done about it when the real
> problem was some network equipment?
>
> I just wonder why it was less visible when directly using those DNS
> servers. Since DNS must have been designed with occassional packet
> loss in mind (because it uses UDP), there must be a way to handle this
> better. So I read a little bit in
> https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt.
>
> RFC1035 section 4.2.1 suggests that the retransmission interval for
> queries should be 2-5 seconds, depending on statistics of previous
> queries. To me, "retransmissions" means the primary DNS server should
> not be switched for each query timeout it got (while still allowing to
> transfer the same request to the next available server).
>
> RFC1035 section 7 discusses the suggested implementation of the
> resolver and covers retransmission and server selection algorithms:
>
> It suggests to record average response time for each server it queries
> to select the ones which respond faster first. Without query history,
> the selection algorithm should pretend a response time of 5-10
> seconds.
>
> It also suggests to switch the primary server only when there was some
> "bizarre" error or a server error reply. However, I don't think it
> should actually remove them from the list as suggested there since we
> are a client resolver, not a server resolver which can update its peer
> lists from neighbor servers. However, we could reset query time
> statistics to move it to the end of the list, and/or blacklist it for
> a while.
>
> Somewhere else in that document I've read that it is well permitted to
> [...]

I've prepared a patch and added a pull request:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5953

I saw that the basic infrastructure as laid out in RFC1035 is there but
the current implementation can only increase timeouts and never lowers
them, resulting in timeouts hard limited to 5 seconds all the time.
That way, occasional UDP packet drops result in always 5 second stalls.
In case there are bursts of packet drops, you would easily get DNS
timeouts in clients (tho, this seems to have been fixed already in
systemd-resolved as I now longer saw that effect), or at least stalls
of 5, 10, or 15 seconds which is very annoying.

With this patch, after a DNS server recovers, the timeouts are lowered
again so we get faster failover to the next server in case a packet is
lost again.

It works pretty well for web browsing here. I didn't test the effects
on LLMNR and mDNS as I cannot really use them here with a proper test
scenario.

--
Regards,
Kai