On Mon, 22.05.17 14:11, Nikolai Kondrashov (nikolai.kondras...@redhat.com)
wrote:

> Hi everyone on systemd-devel,
>
> I'm trying to solve a problem of supplying locale settings to non-shell
> programs acting as login shells in Fedora and RHEL, as described
> below.

Which services precisely are running these PAM sessions?

Note that explicitly importing /etc/locale.conf should be entirely
unnecessary: systemd reads that anyway and adds it to the environment
of all services it spawns.

I am pretty sure instead of readding this to the env block through PAM
it should just stay in place anyway, and simply be inherited
down. Hence, I'd claim that the services setting up the PAM session
are simply too eager in cleaning up the environment and should be
fixed to leave LANG= and LC_*= in the environment passed to activates sessions.

> So far it seems the Debian way of doing things will work.
>
> Could you please confirm that the format of locale.conf is not going to change
> in a way incompatible with what pam_env.so expects?
>
> The pam_env.so manpage:
>
>     http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/pam_env.8.html
>
> The locale.conf manpage:
>
>     https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/locale.conf.html
>
> Also, am I missing anything? Is there another way systemd can help here?

The syntax described in the man page is unlikely to change. I have no
idea about the format pam_env expects though.

And I can only recommend fixing the services in question instead of
taping over the issue with pam_env...