On Thu, 15 Jun 2017, Jérémy Rosen wrote:

 I'm pretty it should only be necessary to call daemon-reload before using
 systemctl. It warns if any source files (unit files, dropins and anything
 mentioned by SourcePath= in a unit) have been updated since the last
 reload. The fstab generator should be using SourcePath=.

Would it be theoretically possible to do a .path that looked at /etc/fstab and triggered a daemon-reload, or would that be a bad idea for reasons I don't imagine ?

I guess you could do that.

I'm happy enough to not have config loaded automatically, though -- it just seems neater to have a whole bunch of changes queued up and to have them all applied at once. I've never found manual reloads to be a big problem.

On the other hand, I can't think of any big problems with having new config applied automatically. It's not as if systemd will automatically start any new units or stop any that disappear under it, at least at the time of the reload itself. The one concern though is that it can affect future jobs, as new dependencies between units may have been automatically added. But maybe that's what the sysadmin expected.