Little follow-up question. What would you say is best practice for a vpn
client?

- Add commandline option --update-systemd-resolved or so
- Autodetect existence of the interface and just do it? (How?)
- Always try to do the update but silently ignore if it fails and fall
back to updating resolve.conf instead?

I was going with the commandline option. But I'm beginning to hate it.
Do the right thing if you know what's right rings better with me.

I will have to introduce a option for domain filter (and search domain)
anyway, that stuff will never work out of the box.
The VPN protocol is one of those nasty ppp over ssl jobs. And the only
fields passed down to the client are the nameservers.

Cheers
 Tilman