On 16/08/2017 10:31, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com <mailto:hen...@webconverger.com>> wrote:

    Hi there,

    I maintain a service file with a lot of switches in the ExecStart
    https://github.com/kaihendry/pingprom/blob/master/prometheus%40.service#L8
    <https://github.com/kaihendry/pingprom/blob/master/prometheus%40.service#L8>

    I want to almost document each switch ... e.g.
    -storage.local.retention=8544h  # keep data for a year

    I know inline comments do *not* work in bash IIUC:
    https://gist.github.com/kaihendry/ff751622c6454176837b1c340b5cfccb
    <https://gist.github.com/kaihendry/ff751622c6454176837b1c340b5cfccb>

    And similarly when I try break up lines on something like
    https://s.natalian.org/2017-08-16/test.service
    <https://s.natalian.org/2017-08-16/test.service>

    [Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/curl -X POST
    -d "fizz=systemd"  # some docs
    -d "some=else"      # more docs
    https://requestb.in/19v8a0m1

    It also doesn't work. Am I missing a tool or way to better
    format/document process arguments like I want?

Just put everything in a shell script. (That way you can test it directly without systemd, too.)

Alternatively, you could documente everything in an EnvironmentFile that sets an environment variable with all the parameters and documents in a comment

Regards
Jérémy
--
With bash, you can use inline comments in arrays:

    #!/usr/bin/env bash
    args=(
        -X POST             # foo
        -d "fizz=systemd"           # some docs
        -d "some=else"              # more docs
    https://requestb.in/foo
    )

    exec curl "${args[@]}"

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <graw...@gmail.com <mailto:graw...@gmail.com>>

Logo <http://www.smile.fr/>

20 rue des Jardins
92600 Asnières-sur-Seine
www.smile.fr <http://www.smile.fr/>
*Jérémy ROSEN*
Architecte technique
Email : jeremy.ro...@smile.fr <mailto:jeremy.ro...@smile.fr>
Tel : +33141402967

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/smileopensource> Google%2B <http://fr.slideshare.net/SmileOpenSource/presentations> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/smile> Twitter <https://twitter.com/GroupeSmile>

bandeaux_mail <http://www.smile.fr/Offres-services/Offres/Ingenierie?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=signature>

eco Pour la planète, n'imprimez ce mail que si c'est nécessaire