Hi Tim/Stani,

I'd go so far as to say SQL doesn't even belong in the model layer as per Fowler/Larmen/whomever 3-layer approaches.

My recommendation is to use some form of Controller servlet that takes care of much of what is needed, like setting up connections and setting attributes (not directly, see Fowler's P of EAA or my thesis --if you're a masochist-- https://soenea.htmlweb.com/trac/browser/Documentation/trunk/Thesis/Thesis_Stuart.pdf). This allows problems like that to be addressed in the appropriate places, leaving the JSP Templates oblivious to it all and letting the jstl stuff stick to providing appropriate support to display relevant data in the JSPs. Even if your abstraction was less religiously (Domain) Object-Oriented than what I propose, having your jstl stuff just manipulate some form of ResultSet/DAO would probably achieve appropriate separation, with problems like missing database drivers happening before the JSP is even dispatched to (and possibly leading to the dispatching to an error view).

Stuart