2009/10/5 Jennifer Campbell <jenuk1...@googlemail.com>:
> Just a further heads up that this user appears to have posted to SABRE
> asking for a way to edit OSM privately. Any suggestions I should pass on
> to him? It should keep him from vandalising live data if it was possible.
>
> http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23677

If it is a genuine concern about being abused for making mistakes the
people abusing people should be dealt with there is no reason for it,
I belive someone suggested a more formal mentoring arrangement, which
would probably deal with this better than making edits to a dummy
system just to see how things will render.

For people with good reason to be making dummy edits the dev system
can do this and will also render pretty maps too.

http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/