Hello!

Just to explain the point of view of the PocketGis team:

I'm a member of that team. I.'m one of those who voted for changing the
rules of mapping military in Russia. The reason for that was NOT the
problems to OUR project, but problems to the possibility to legally use OSM
in Russia.

For the moment Russian legislation relating to mapping is VERY strict - it's
a licensed activity with huge amount of control from Federal Security
Service, Ministry of Defense and so on. (We do suppose that it is legal for
natural persons, who are not making profit of mapping activity, so we can
legally participate in OSM). Publishing or using of maps, created by
unlicensed persons is illegal for those, who use them in their commercia
lactivity, so for the moment OSM data  in Russia can be use ONLY for
non-profit activity and only by natural persons. We do not think that it is
good.

We (PocketGis team) are currently making some efforts to prove to our state
authorities that OSM data can be used by anyone, in any way. This is only
possible if that data contains nothing that violates Russian legislation.

Our proposal (formulated AFTER the vote on wiki was started by other osm
members) was not to remove OBJECTS from OSM, but to replace the tag military
by something like landuse=industrial + access=no

In that way we do respect the truth_on_ground rule, but we leave to OSM a
chance to be legal for everyone in Russia.

We spent two weeks trying to prove that, we failed. No we are accused of
trying to harm OSM, to take power in Russian-oms and so on...

That is not true. We do care of OSM.

By the way - the author of the originating e-mail is not a Russian
citizen...

Best regards,
Kirill aka Ezhick.