Hi

>Hence while the shape my have been drastically altered, the polygon way is still the "same" it has been since you touched it 2 weeks ago. You can see that in the history of the individual nodes. >Potlatch uses a slightly different data model where a way's nodes are integrated with the way, hence Potlatch "sees" a changed way.

I'm struggling to see how this isn't a fundamentally incorrect way for OSM/JOSM etc to interpret the data. If nodes are moved then ways are amended & should be listed as such to avoid confusion & "reverting good edits made by the mapper".

Hi,
Reverting the *correct* changeset (that contained the node edits)
would have solved the issue

Unfortunately not. In JOSM I tried two operations:
I downloaded all the data in the https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/47243857 into JOSM
Also a boundary box of the area.
In each case I attempted to revert just the affected polygon with the revert plugin. Neither case worked.

In P1 I selected the polygon & a similar attempted revert of the way failed.

  but probably also reverted good edits made
by the mapper. The scripts I used are on github
(woodpeck/osm-revert-scripts) however they require some Perl/Unix foo to
use correctly (or else you run the danger of creating more damage). In
this case what I did was

* create new changeset (using changeset.pl)
* download the polygon (using wget)
* extract from it a list of nodes it's using (using "grep" and "cut"
unix utilitiess)
* revert every node to whatever state it was in before touched by the
user ndm (using a "for" loop and undo.pl)

This long-winded procedure + the failed reverts clearly indicates an improvement in data storage/interpretation is required: Ways with moved nodes need to be tagged as being amended.

DaveF.

---