On Thursday 04 May 2017, Michał Brzozowski wrote:

> > Well - HDYC is a tool offered by Pascal Neis, AFAIK it is not even
> > open source.  Pascal could turn it off any time if he wanted to and
> > of course he can also put up constraints.
>
> Keep in mind that I don't make it appear that my requests are based
> on something formal, they're not. I simply hope that people will tell
> him they don't agree with me and two already did ;)

I can only say if i was in Pascal's position here and i had decided to
add the requirement of authorization to my tool because i am convinced
this is important for the privacy of mappers (and i don't want to imply
that i would see it that way nor that this was actually Pascal's
motivation) users not liking my decision but having no convincing
arguments w.r.t. the basis of my decision would not have any bearing on
the matter.

> I think it also emphasizes how open-source tools are important. There
> are tons of obscure analysis pages which don't have their source
> available.

Yes - and the situation about HDYC would have different dynamics
obviously if it was open source.

But also keep in mind that the functionality of HDYC is not really that
complex.  Writing a replacement for it would certainly be quite a bit
of work but it is not really rocket science.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/