Hi,

On 05.05.2017 08:49, joost schouppe wrote:
> Putting a somewhat pointless access limitation to
> HDYC is counterproductive, as it might give people a false sense of
> security.

This is correct, but so would

> A system to opt-out of being
> included in this particular system

because it would give people the idea that if they don't opt in then
their data wouldn't be visible, when in fact anyone can run a software
like Pascal's.

I think that "raising awareness" is good; and if we could all unite
behind the idea that just because someone voluntarily contributes to OSM
that shouldn't mean they're automatically sacrificing their privacy then
that would already be a great step forward.

How the goals of transparency and quality control in the project and the
goal of protecting the privacy of the individual contributor can be
reconciled is something we can, and should, think about; I would be very
happy if as a first step we could at least agree that protecting the
privacy of the individual contributor *is* desirable. The knee-jerk
"well you knew what you signed up for" reaction doesn't help a
vulnerable community member when they see their privacy violated.

Bye
Frederik