On Friday 05 May 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> [...]
>
> I would like to come to a point where, if this happened to you in a
> job interview, you could afterwards point to an OSM policy and say:
> Clearly this company has violated OSM rules, they must have created
> an account under false pretenses to get at this data and they're
> using it for purposes not sanctioned by OSM. That won't make you get
> the job, but it would at least make clear that we stand with our
> contributors against abuse of their data.

One of the things i was trying to point out is that this would not be
the case.  That company would simply say: "We got that info from <rouge
website> or from our human ressources consulting contractor and never
agreed to any terms not to use such data.  Thanks for informing us that
they are using this data without permission, we will not use it any
more in the future." ;-)

> > For a balanced discussion - and i am not saying i would actually
> > prefer this approach to what you are suggesting - the whole problem
> > could also be approached from the other side by reconsidering the
> > possibility for partly anonymous edits.
>
> Yes. I think both approaches could be grouped under "restricted
> access to personal information", and there will probably be still
> other approaches with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Well - the difference with the scenario i outlined is that it much more
clearly aims at the protection of the mappers' privacy and gives the
mapper much broader and more immediate control over this.  This is no
replacent for a solid strategy on educating mappers on what kind of
privacy risks are involved with contributing in OSM but it kind of
seems a more logical approach to the matter than a purely
after-the-fact approach to protecting the data.

This does not mean i am convinced this is ultimately the best solution,
this depends on a lot of details of the implementation.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/