On Fri, 5 May 2017 12:34:14 +0200
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think that even if they are careful enough not to use their real
> > name, the identity of a mapper will often be easy to reconstruct if
> > you have access to just a little bit of extra information (might be
> > as little as a name on a doorbell).
> >

> if I look at my "local area" in hdyc, there are probably a million
> people living within, but even if it were just a few thousand it
> would effectively not be possible to look at all those doorbells
> (where you won't have your name anyway if you are really concerned
> about privacy) and get a clue to which username this might be
> related. If you are living in a _very_ remote area (which most
> mappers are not), in very rare exceptional cases it might be possible
> to see who is which mapper, and that he mapped this remote area.
> Congratulations.

You're seriously underestimating how much information it's possible to
get from editing patterns.  There are a quarter-million people in the
area I keep an eye on; maybe four of them are active OSM contributors.
Just from looking at changesets, I know where two of them live: which
house for one of them, and the general neighborhood for the other.

(I also know which university a couple dozen hit-and-run editors
attend, and can make a good guess at which class they took last fall.)

--
Mark