On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 3:43 AM, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 09:17:50PM +0100, Dave F wrote:
> > Yeah, but how many of them are useful? I spend far too much of my
> > OSM time mopping up irrelevant, out of date & inaccurate info. Many
> > notes are indicating locations which already exist such as building
> > names & parks. What devices are being used which don't display this
> > clearly?
>
> So who is at fault? The one mentioning somethings missing - or the one
> putting some information into the map without closing the note?
>
> I am personally using the note for a lot of purposes, and i am very
> thankful we have them.

Same here, and I get a little annoyed when someone bulk-closes notes from a
survey that might just well be once in a lifetime for a particularly
far-flung trip without updating the map or asking questions.  Also, if the
note is *not* anonymous, but doesn't make sense to you, *always* comment
and ask for clarification.  Same with changesets.  Don't assume the worst,
especially if there's a user associated; just ask.  Odds are there's some
line of thinking that was involved with any note, and notes associated with
non-anonymous people will reach the note reporter.  It's entirely possible,
particularly before popular tools like Osmand, got a macro feature, that
there's shorthand involved.  This is particularly true for my notes prior
to about the last few weeks when it became possible to macro notes in
Osmand.  Now I kinda wish for multiple levels of notes, so I don't have to
stop or use speech-and-hope-to-text.

Another handy thing is that in the last ~5 years, mobile devices that
accept OSM notes (or OSB notes before that) have high enough precision to
infer the direction of travel.  This is particularly true where you don't
have tree cover, tall buildings or cliff faces in the way.  Though it's
also possible to infer direction of travel by seeing the numerical
progression of notes:  Direction of travel is in the direction of
increasing note numbers.

> I have an RSS Feed in my reader so i can react within 24 hours for my
> area of interest ...

I've used to, but I have found that the limitations of 1° of arc or
whatever the area is limited to in the API is vastly too narrow for my area
of interest.  It seems OSM doesn't quite get that everything is bigger in
(approximately) Texas.