This academic paper may be of interest:

http://eprints.bbk.ac.uk/15720/1/2016-Ballatore-Streets_known_names.pdf

Abstract:

"Street names provide important insights into the local culture,
history, and politics of places. Linked open data provide a wealth of
knowledge that can be associated with street names, enabling novel
ways to explore cultural geographies. This paper presents a three-fold
contribution. We present (1) a technique to establish a correspondence
between street names and the entities that they refer to. The method
is based on Wikidata, a knowledge base derived from Wikipedia. a The
accuracy of this mapping is evaluated on a sample of streets in Rome.
As this approach reaches limited coverage, we propose to tap local
knowledge with (2) a simple web platform. Users can select the best
correspondence from the calculated ones or add another entity not
discovered by the automated process. As a result, we design (3) an
enriched OpenStreetMap web map where each street name can be explored
in terms of the properties of its associated entity. Through several
filters, this tool is a first step towards the interactive exploration
of toponymy, showing how open data can reveal facets of the cultural
texture that pervades place"

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing