There's no release yet (it's just in our code repository), but I want to inform you that openstreetmap-carto offers now easy to set up, Docker-based rendering environment:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/DOCKER.md

You can edit style files and see the results immediately in a web browser without manual system configuration. It's possible to compare it visually with online OSM maps, use overlays and export test images out of the box.

If you have any comments or problems related to this, let us know. I'd like to make testing as easy and comfortable as possible. I hope this will lower the barrier to start making contributions to default OSM map style.

--
"Like a halo in reverse" [M. Gore]