As  a  follow up - my TBN file is not being recreated, so it now seems
that  while I still have the TBB file with 5gb in that folder, none of
the messages shows up. Not sure what I did but I don't think I
can find the original TBN file. While I do have two backups of the
full TB, these are recent and probably will have the same problem
as my active program and I am somewhat reluctant to initiate a restore
from there as I would lose other emails from unaffected accounts.
I  was  under the impression that TB would reindex the folder - why is
that not happening?

--
Tom
using TheBat! 4.2.33.9 on XP