On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 15:49:24 +0100, Craig Skinner wrote:

> When cksum(1) is used with a -C checklist listing multiple algorithms,
> and a single -a algorithm is specified, cksum doesn't select the correct
> -a [algorithm], nor the correct line in the -C [checklist]:

The -a option is only used to set a default hash type in -c/-C mode
when the default cannot be determined from the file name or when
you want to override the default.

In this case, it is really only useful for GNU-style checklist files
that don't list the algorithm.

It seems to me that in -C mode it should really process all the
checksums that match the specified file(s), but the documentation
does not actually specify what the behavior is in this case.

 - todd