> Perhaps we'll come up with a simpler way down the road, but it isn't
> *that* hard for manual upgrades. once you've installed the kernels, make
> sure you've got the correct hash:
>
>       sha256 -h /var/db/kernel.SHA256 /bsd
>
> and the rc script will do the rest after the next reboot. I think this
> is bearable.

I think that is bad advice.  At next reboot, it will build a new
kernel using the link kit.  But where's the step that updates the link
kit??  You didn't describe it, so uhm... two boots later you'll be
running something different than intended.

The correct process is much simpler.  In a kernel compile directory,
simply type

   make install

That updates the kernel, the link kit, and the hash.