On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 02:41:28PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 14:06:11 +0200
> > From: Job Snijders <j...@instituut.net>
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This patch adds a -v option to mv(1) for more verbose output.
> >
> >     $ touch a
> >     $ mv -v a b
> >     'a' -> 'b'
> >     $ mkdir c
> >     $ mv -v b c
> >     'b' -> 'c/b'
> >     $ mv -v c d
> >     'e' -> 'd'
> >
> > And here is an example of the output of the situation mentioned in the
> > 'caveats' section in the manpage:
> >
> >     $ touch f g; mkdir -p d/f
> >     $ mv -v f g d
> >     mv: rename f to d/f: Is a directory
> >     'g' -> 'd/g'
> >     $ echo $?
> >     1
> >
> > Kind regards,
>
> This is not something we want for OpenBSD.

I beg to differ. Personally, i've sometimes had to use rsync -P (or -i,
or -v, or other equivalents) to have some kind of listing/progress of a
large copy/move operation. Granted, it's not in POSIX or other
standards, and it's in GNU mv/coreutils that everyone loves to hate for
the kitchensink approach, but that shouldnt be a reason. If there's a
sensible usecase, why not ?

Landry