> conversion from midi to sound format (wma, mp3 etc) is rather straight
> forward. But not so for conversion from sound recordings to midi. This task,
> music recognition, is a non trivial task. In its nature it resembles OCR
> text recognition from scanned book pages, or, even more complicated, music
> recognition from scanned music prints.

I agree that music recognition from sound recordings is highly
non-trivial, but not with the phrase "even more complicated".
Decoding scanned music is much easier than OCR. For example,
you know that you have to identify five equispaced solid parallel lines.
That is much easier than identifying the baseline of text. You have
only eleven possible note positions on the staff, in contrast with
over 50 possible letters and digits. Etc.

In fact, recognizing scanned music is more reliable than working
from the MIDI files you get from a piece on a Roland.

> Recognition of music events like midi or musicxml from recorded
> performances is most likely dramatically more complicated.

With that I agree wholeheartedly.