I'm stuck on something that shouldn't be that hard. How can I get more
vertical space only in the inter-staff gap where the lyrics are, and have
the necessary reduction elsewhere distributed among the rest of the
available space on the page? This gap is between two staves of the same
instrument.

While we're at it, how could I similarly add vertical space just in the next
inter-staff gap down, which is between two instruments in the same system?

I've intentionally not used Ae, because I think it would create other
problems in my ultimate application.

--Don

======================

4 -2 2 2  4 4 4 4 0 0