The midi-only accidentals indeed are not needed, i suppose, long ago i was not sure de accidentals were remembered within a bar, and until now i put them explicitely.

If i had read the pmx manual torough, I never had came to this 'feature'.

Andre

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: Don Simons
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:23 PM
To: 'Werner Icking Music Archive'
Subject: [Tex-music] Midi-only accidentals (was RE: little things)

Andre Van Ryckeghem wrote
1. In the first bar, the hidden accidentals reserve space. This is
corrected in
the second bar by using 'zcf<0 '
===============
1 1 6 8 6 8  0 0 1 3 20 0

./
Apb
r8+6 a8n+ o.+5 o_ zff zefi ffi zefi zcf efi zcfi zaf cfi zafi zff afi
r8+zffi
ze /
r8+6 a8n+ o.+6 o_+1 zff zefi ffi zefi
%void space made by efi
zcf<0
efi zcfi zaf cfi zafi zff afi zffi ze /

First let me say I'm again impressed that Andre has uncovered this "feature"
in PMX. Very "Werner-like". Not something I ever even thought about before.

I've spent some time looking into the PMX coding, with the objective of
removing gaps in the printed score caused by midi-only accidentals. This is
a real "Pandora's box." The way PMX computes the layout and spacing of
multiple accidentals on chords is VERY complex, scattered over multiple
subroutines. And it's literally been years since I originally programmed
this, so even though I know I can eventually meet the objective, it's taking
me some time to reconstruct the logic and internal notation.

But in the meantime I'd like to ask Andre exactly why he needs midi-only
accidentals in the example. I've done a few tests (on simpler combinations)
and it appears that ordinary accidentals on a main note or any chord note
are automatically applied in the MIDI to later repetitions of the same note
in the same bar, just like they would be played under normal conventions.

--Don