A fatal typo ----------------------
> \liststepwise[\let\hidestepcontens=\hidedimmed]

Now I know why I had the nagging feeling that
setting parameters using \let isn't a good idea ;-)

Maybe I'll look for a safer way for setting parameters
within \stepwise.

But even with \hidestepcontents spelled correctly,
you might experience grief with vertical spelling,
because \hidestepcontents uses \textcolor which
doesn't really belong around \item...

I'd advise using

\begin{itemize}
\liststepwise
{
  \dstep\item we ``discover'' the structure of the document (DTD)
  \dstep\item SGML tools (nsgmls, yasp) help us to correct the source
  \dstep\item we can produce the ``printing'' markup again
  \dstep\item we can use SGML format for other applications
}
\end{itemize}

or even safer

\liststepwise
{%
\begin{itemize}
  \dstep\item we ``discover'' the structure of the document (DTD)
  \dstep\item SGML tools (nsgmls, yasp) help us to correct the source
  \dstep\item we can produce the ``printing'' markup again
  \dstep\item we can use SGML format for other applications
\end{itemize}
}

regards
Stephan

--
  Stephan Lehmke                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Fachbereich Informatik, LS I   Tel. +49 231 755 6434