I may be too late to contribute anything helpful to this thread (I get
the digest version so I'm always a day behind or so).    There is
obviously a concern about to what extent the IRB should be evaluating
the quality of the research, and intelligent people can have different
opinions on this.  On the practical side, I would suggest that one or
two faculty from the department ask to meet with the IRB to discuss the
issue in general (not just the specific protocol that was submitted).
The IRB members are most likely reasonable people who would appreciate a
dialogue about how to best fulfill their responsibilities.  So my
suggestion (as the IRB administrator at my institution) is to listen to
their concerns, explain your concerns, and help them come up with a good
policy that fits your institution.

David Kreiner
Professor of Psychology and
Assistant Dean of The Graduate School