As an historian, I'll attest that Michael Smith is right.  Some of you are
showing your anti-religion bias.  Newton, for example, felt that his greatest
work was not the Mathamatica Principia, but his commentary on the Bible.  So,
if you think Michael's explanation is "shallow," for starters, I would send you
to Majorie Nicolson, Breaking the Circle and Moutain Gloom, Mountain Glory,
Alexandre Koyre, From the Closed World to the Infinite Universe, and Arthur
Koestler, Sleepwalkers.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier                          http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
Department of History                        http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, Georgia 31698                     /\   /\  /\                 /\
/\
(O)  229-333-5947                            /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__   /   \  /
 \
(C)  229-630-0821                           /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/ /\/  /  \
 /\  \
   \_/__\  \
                                               /\"If you want to climb
mountains,\ /\