Wim (and all).

Sorry not to weigh in until now. I have been very, very busy. Hoping things will slow down a bit over the next 2 or three weeks so I can do more on the tn5250j stuff.

I am not a licensing expert but as I understand the LGPL, a company can integrate the java classes/jars (library is what the LGPL language says) into their application and can charge for the the application as long as they don't "charge" for whatever they use from tn5250j.  It is a fine line in my opinion but they still need to indicate in their copyrights that some of the application is dependent upon tn5250j and licensed under LGPL (if we go that way).  So they can use the tn5250j as part of their solution.  They cannot use any source from the project in their own code or build a derived application from tn5250j and charge for it.  They can only use complete "components" that are identifiable as such from tn5250j (like the protocolBean).

What I don't know is that if they decide to enhance the tn5250j code are they obligated to contribute that code back to the project?  I *think* they are but I am not sure.  Where things get "fuzzy" is how to determine what "component" is being used.

No doubt some of the tn5250j code has found it's way into a commercial product or two already.  Not everybody plays by the rules.  But I think there is little risk in this approach.

In any case it speaks highly of what you guys have accomplished!

Pete

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello all,

as I understood it, the people from Help/Systems were looking for a 5250 protocol to embed into their product. Of course they will be charging their customers for this. As I interpret this, it's not a question of not OSS'ing the project anymore, but establishing a licensing policy on the project that allows them to integrate it.

Kenneth Pouncey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

14/12/2005 06:47

tn5250j-general@lists.sourceforge.net, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
Re: [Tn5250j-general] [Fwd: Fw: TN5250J License]

Matt

If you are on the list now here was a personal e-mail sent to me from one of the people.  I ony copied pasted a part of the e-mail as there was some personal info and do not want to get him/her in trouble.

Could you maybe give some answers to the questions.

I want to open this conversation up and let everyone decide.

Sorry to put you in this but all the others that I have done this too has backed down answering the questions in a public format.  You guys have been the most up front and honest so far which is why I have even considered it.

Regards

Kenneth

Email below:

Kenneth - -

Wow!!  No kidding!!  Help/Systems!!  MOST INTERESTING (yes I am
shouting).

Since I am only a user, not a developer on this project, my 2 cents is
from a different perspective.  My concerns are the life of the product.
As you know and I have said repeatedly - tn5250j rocks!  Its great!

I want it to survive as an oss product.  I would understand if the
developers needed to generate a cash flow, as sad as that would make me.

Do you know what Help/Systems is up to?  Are they planning on putting
out the 5250 emulation and trying to charge for it?  Do they want to use
it as an oss product?