On 4 Sep 2013 at 20:07, Martin W. Kirst wrote:

Date sent:      Wed, 04 Sep 2013 20:07:41 +0200
From:   "Martin W. Kirst" <m...@bitkings.de>
To:     tn5250j-general@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject:        Re: [Tn5250j-general] Installing on windows 7?
Send reply to:  tn5250j-general@lists.sourceforge.net

        <mailto:tn5250j-general-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net?subject=subscribe>

> Hi,
>
> this sounds to me, that Windows User Access Control (UAC) is
> activated. If so (default), then a normal user isn't allowed to
> install anything within c:\program files\. Even if you're using an
> admin-account, you have to right click the installer and click "run as
> admin". Thus, the installer will get the required priveleges.
>
> If javaw.exe isn't in your Path, consider to re-install Java.
> Sometimes you have to click the option:
> "install for all users, not just me" within the Java installer.
> To my long year experience, the Java installer will add javaw.exe to
> PATH environment variables. So something seems to be broken on your
> machine.

Thanks for the reply. These are not machines that I have control
over, so not clear on how they were setup. Just did a test on a
teachers machine in the office that has Windows 7. Her account
was admin level, but it wout not install in the program directory,
and when I tried to install in C:\tn5250j as I had before it also
failed? Opened a command prompt window (regular, not run as
admin) and was able to create the directory? Then had the install
try again, and it gave the message that directory already exist, but
then continued installing with no problem. On this machine for
some reason, the javaw was in the system32 directory, and was
therefor seen with no problem by the batch file?

It would be nice if it was consistant in how it acted?

Thanks.

> Regards
> Martin
>
> Am 04.09.2013 08:50, schrieb Michael D. Setzer II:
> > I have a problem with the tn5250j installation on machines with
> > Windows 7? It isn't actually with the installer but with the windows
> > 7 options. With past machines and the ones in my lab it installs
> > just fine.
> >
> > 1. Installing in the programs directory doesn't work, but that is
> > easy to get around, by just putting it in c:\tn5250j. 2. The second
> > issue is that the batch file doesn't work, for some reason the javaw
> > isn't in the path, so the script doesn't work as is. I've found that
> > manually going into the batch file, and putting the full path to the
> > javaw will then work.
> >
> > My lab has linux and XP, but no 7. Tried it in another lab that is
> > new with 7 and it had this issue. Also, just had a student with a
> > notebook, and it was the same.
> >
> > Just wondering if anyone else has already come up with a
> > solution. Main issue is finding where the javaw is located.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > +----------------------------------------------------------+
> >   Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
> >   Guam Community College  Computer Center
> >   mailto:mi...@kuentos.guam.net
> >   mailto:msetze...@gmail.com
> >   http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
> >   Guam - Where America's Day Begins
> >   G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
> >   http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
> > +----------------------------------------------------------+
> >
> > http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
> > Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
> > Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
> > (Total Hours: 287,489)
> >
> > BOINC@HOME CREDITS
> > SETI        15935688.340066   |   EINSTEIN    13098215.469852
> > ROSETTA      8435942.527824   |   ABC         16268251.118696

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mi...@kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetze...@gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI        15951212.862960   |   EINSTEIN    13129928.609852
ROSETTA      8449728.397626   |   ABC         16269729.784409