"localhost" has special meaning to the MySQL command line tool, this uses the Unix Domain socket for transport, like /tmp/mysql.sock this does not work with Java I don't believe there is any API to access Unix Domain sockets.

Confirm:

mysql -h localhost -u username -ppassword database

AND

mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u username -ppassword database

both work.. the first uses Unix Domain sockets the 2nd TCPIP socket, same as the Java JDBC driver uses. Maybe "netstat -ton | grep 3306" can help you find where MySQL is connected with TCPIP. If you can't find it you need to look at my.cnf from mysql's var direction, maybe /opt/mysql/var/my.cnf and check you DONT have "skip-networking" set. Then check for "port=####" and "bind=####" values if its running on the non-standard settings than INADDR_ANY:3306.

My question, in my (5.5.9) $CATALINE_HOME/common/lib I have:

commons-el.jar
jasper-compiler.jar
jasper-compiler-jdt.jar
jasper-runtime.jar
jsp-api.jar
mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar
naming-factory-dbcp.jar
naming-factory.jar
naming-resources.jar
servlet-api.jar

But you also have:
commons-collections-3.1.jar
commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar
commons-pool-1.2.jar

I am having problems with "naming-factory-dbcp.jar" I'm not sure which base version it is for a start and it does not seem to re-use the connections in the pool. Is it possible to override the version shipped with TC adding a few files and changing the class path in the <Resource> to the official Apache one ?

Do you know which version of DBCP is shipped with TC 5.5.9 ?

Thanks

Darryl

--
Darryl L. Miles