Richard Road Runner wrote:

I am not sure that this is a Tomcat issue, but we are not sure what exactly is
causing our problem.

We are running Tomcat 5.0.27.  We are using the most recent jconn2.jar driver
to connect to a Sybase SQL Anywhere Studio 7 database via JDBC.

Over a period of time, the number of connections to the database continues to
increase far beyond the possible number of users.  The only way to close the
connections is to restart the database server.

Are you using DBCP ?

I have an issue with 5.5.9 and DBCP shipped with it I found 2 weeks ago. I would describe my problem as DBCP is not "reusing database connections when it should" but it instead creates a new one, until the SQL server has too many connections (or your DBCP hits upper parameter limits).

With TC and MySQL I can confirm this by logging my database handle close and watching what happens with "SHOW PROCESSLIST" sql command on the server. Each request needs 1 database connection and the logging should confirm it returns (releases) the connection back to DBCP pool. I have followed this path with the debugger and got inside DBCP to prove the release takes place.

I had put down the problem and just configured up my DBCP parameters to expire old connections as fast as possible and up the maximum limits. This wont work for me in production, maybe I switch to C3P0 connection pooling at that time.

Its just so difficult to help out and nail the problem with TCs refactored and repackaged DBCP, I would very much appreciate an SDK version of the full TC package that includes all source in the JARs. I am doing a CVS build.xml now, but I think this will be for 5.5.12, I just need to work out how to fix the version for a 5.5.9 release and compare the two trees to maybe try and nail this one, or at least confirm the blame here is with DBCP.

--
Darryl L. Miles