From: Ben Souther [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 12 October 2005 12:12
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat on Windows: advantages of running as a service?

The "net start <service name>" and "net stop <service name>" commands
will allow you to stop and start Windows services from the command line
(and thus from a batch script).  You can get the service name from the
"Services" property window.

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 06:18, Tom Burke wrote:
> I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28 on a Windows 2003 server, and I need to
> automatically shut it down & restart it. One way is to control it via
> shutdown.bat & startup.bat, and run these as scheduled tasks at (say)
> 3:30am and 3:31am. However, I've noticed that while shutdown.bat will
> shut it down if it was previously started as a service, startup.bat
> won't run it as a service, it starts it at a command prompt.
>
> My question is: does this matter? If I'm running on Windows are there
> any advantages to running Tomcat as a service? Or disadvantages to
> running from the command prompt? The server is dedicated to tomcat, by
> the way.
>
> Tom Burke

This E-mail may be confidential and may also be
legally priviledged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify us immediately; You should
not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose
its content to any person. E-mail may be subject to
data corruption accidentally or deliberately. For
this reaszon it is inappropriate to rely on advice
contained in an e-mail without obtaining written
confirmation of it first.